Members of The University of Alabama faculty will be honored for their research contributions at the upcoming Faculty Research Day.
As part of the celebration, 12 members of the faculty will be recognized as recipients of the President’s Faculty Research Award during a ceremony at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 17, in the Bryant Conference Center on the UA campus.
Sponsored by the offices of the President and Vice President for Research and Economic Development, the award goes to outstanding faculty researchers from across UA’s colleges and schools.
The winners are two senior and a junior investigators from each of three groupings: physical and biological sciences, mathematics and engineering; social and behavioral sciences; and arts and humanities.
The faculty-led Research Advisory Committee selected honorees from nominations across campus.
“The research and scholarship by our faculty on this campus betters our society and enhances the educational experience of our students, so it is fitting to set aside a day to honor those contributions,” said Dr. John Higginbotham, UA interim vice president for Research and Economic Development.
Faculty Research Day highlights and celebrates excellence in research and scholarship by bringing together faculty from across the campus. The event also increases awareness and generates enthusiasm for scholarship among faculty at UA as the University moves to advance its research enterprise.
In addition to remarks by UA President Stuart R. Bell and Higginbotham, Dr. Joshua Rothman, professor and chair of the history department, will give a keynote address.
A networking opportunity begins at 4 p.m., and there will be a reception after the ceremony concludes.
The 2018 Faculty Research Award recipients are:
Physical and Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
- Dr. Shanlin Pan, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Dr. Christina Staudhammer, Biological Sciences
- Dr. Joshua Eyer, Capstone College of Nursing
- Dr. Asma Hatoum-Aslan, Biological Sciences
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Dr. David Albright, Social Work
- Dr. Alexander Ellinger, Marketing
- Dr. Peter Harms, Management
- Dr. Amanda Ross, Economics, Finance and Legal Studies
Arts and Humanities
- Jenny Carroll, School of Law
- Heather Elliott, School of Law
- Dr. Cindy Ann Kilgo, Educational Leadership, Policy and Technology Studies
- Darrin Griffin, Communication Studies