The University of Alabama Honors College has begun the search for its next dean.The dean will outline a vision for continuing the UA Honors College mission and enhancing the programs that are the hallmark of its nationally recognized undergraduate honors curriculum.
Dr. Cassander Smith, associate dean of academic affairs with the UA Honors College, is serving as chair of the search committee. Smith is joined by elected committee members from the UA Honors College including:
- Dr. Thomas Herwig, assistant professor
- Dr. Anne Franklin Lamar, assistant professor
- Dr. John Latta, assistant professor
- Dr. Darren Surman, assistant professor
Committee members appointed by UA President Stuart R. Bell include:
- Dr. Edward Back, professor and senior associate dean, College of Engineering
- Brandon Chalmers, director of recruitment and admissions, Honors College
- James Kennemer, president and CEO, Vision Research Corporation
- Dr. Teresa Wise, associate provost, International Education and Global Outreach
In addition, Dr. Ann Die Hasselmo and the team from Academic Search are assisting in the search. Academic Search offers executive search services to higher education institutions, associations, and related organizations.
The UA Honors College is home to a diverse community of scholars and a leader in honors education and student engagement. Its mission is to recruit, retain and actively engage high-performing and high-potential students within a diverse community of scholars, and to inspire students to connect with others as they become critical and creative thinkers, ethical and empathetic citizens, and collaborative and inclusive leaders within their chosen fields of study and beyond.
A full description of the position and information on how to apply is available online.