As we all do our part to help slow the spread of the coronavirus, you are reminded to practice social distancing, which means staying away from crowds and limiting, even eliminating, close interaction with others.
The state of Alabama and the city of Tuscaloosa remain under a state of emergency. Gatherings of 10 or more are prohibited. Restaurants and bars are either closed or offering only delivery and/or pick-up orders, per state health orders, and non-essential businesses have been ordered to close. Tuscaloosa is under a 24-hour curfew. Tuscaloosa residents are asked to remain in their home or place of residence at all times, leaving only for essential purposes.
Remember these guidelines when social distancing:
- Use online applications or a phone to communicate with friends, classmates, instructors and relatives.
- While we love to get together with other Bama fans, avoid gatherings or meetings of 10 or more people.
- Avoid hanging out in apartments or homes of friends even if they have a great Bama room.
- Even if you want to rewatch the last national championship, avoid attending or hosting parties or social events.
- Avoid ride sharing with groups.
- If you must go out, try to keep a distance of 6 feet from others.
- Do not shake hands or fist bump. Instead, just offer a “Roll Tide!”
- Stay home if you’re sick or have been around someone exposed or diagnosed.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or inside elbow if you cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces regularly.
- Guides are subject to change – stay informed by checking credible sources like the CDC.
You are reminded to frequently wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. To help you estimate how long to wash your hands, use the graphics below and sing “Yea, Alabama!”
For updates that affect the UA campus community, please visit UA’s Health Info page.
When is the next test of the UA Alert System?
Weather permitting the University will test its emergency notification systems, including UA Alerts, the public address system and digital signage Wednesday, Apr. 1, at 11:55 a.m.
The University of Alabama, part of The University of Alabama System, is the state’s flagship university. UA shapes a better world through its teaching, research and service. With a global reputation for excellence, UA provides an inclusive, forward-thinking environment and nearly 200 degree programs on a beautiful, student-centered campus. A leader in cutting-edge research, UA advances discovery, creative inquiry and knowledge through more than 30 research centers. As the state’s largest higher education institution, UA drives economic growth in Alabama and beyond.